MBB Game Notes: vs Northwestern State
March 1, 2013
SFA (23-3, 13-2 SLC) vs Northwestern State (19-7, 13-2 SLC)
• The winner of Saturday’s clash will be just one win away from clinching at least a share of the the Southland Conference title and the No. 1 overall seed in the SLC Tournament, which includes an automatic berth in the NIT should that team not claim the conference tournament title.
THE LAST TIME OUT
• SFA's 11-game win streak came to an end at Northwestern State. At the time it was the second-longest active win streak in the country. The 'Jacks enter Saturday having won 15 games in a row at William R. Johnson Coliseum, a mark tied for ninth best in the country.
• Stephen F. Austin and Wisconsin are the only two programs in the nation to be ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring defense each of the last five seasons.
• Taylor Smith has become SFA's all-time shot blocker with 120 for his career
• SFA is 37-8 since the the beginning of the 2012 calendar year.
• The Lumberjacks enter Saturday's game averaging just 50.1 points allowed per game, the lowest mark in the country. No team in the nation has ended the year allowing an average of less than 50 points per game since the 1992-93 Princeton Tigers.
SFA WITH THE ELITE: SFA dropped just its third game of the season when it fell at Southeastern Louisiana, but still ranks at the top of the country with its 23-3 record. They are joined by Gonzaga, Duke, and Louisiana Tech as teams left in the country with three or less losses.